Sunday, December 6, 2009

Love and Hate...

I hate to love... and love to hate... Follow me?

If not, there are handy little tools below that will help. (Also located in the bottom right corner of my blog)

   

This won't guarantee you will understand me, but at least you will get a better glimpse of my humor or lack thereof.

But this is not what this post is about... it's actually about LOVE and HATE... the most beautiful and dreaded four letters words in the whole wide world.

 Things I hate:
  • I hate getting my socks wet... PERIOD.
  • I hate when my creamer is out and I have to put milk in my coffee. So.Not.The.Same.
  • I hate the foamy stuff at the top of a good latte. NO FOAM PLEASE, is that so hard?
  • I hate forgetting about things on the stove cuzz I am blogging (oops BRB)
  • I hate brussel sprouts - Never had a good one. Now if Curtis Stone wants to come and make me change my mind... I am open to suggestions ;)
  • I hate when computers have minds of their own... I know I saved that some place!
  • I hate when people use hate so freely.... ouch
Now on to the things I love:
  • I love socks. PERIOD. ;)
  • I love coffee, usually. Lattes, mochas, plain cups of hot steamy yumminess.
  • I love eggs and how forgiving they are when you leave them boiling 5 minutes too long (oops)
  • I love Take Home Chef (Curtis Stone) not just because he is cute, but because he makes some great food that I can find at any local market!
  • I love my computer.. cuzz all my friends live in it. Well okay, not all of them. But some do... *wave*
  • I love when people realize how to really use the word love...
Hahaha, you are in for it now.

So, as you can see the last lines of my love/hate lists really point to something different then even my lists can identify.

In this day and age, love is an awesomely overused thing. I love that movie! I love that candy! I love it! Love it! Love it! Wow, so much love floating around, you'd think we were all living in a dream. Love, love, love...LOVE!

Although, dare I question if you really LOVE that "object, movie, thing" at all... do you know the true meaning of love? I know I forget often just what the true meaning of love actually is.

Some synonyms of LOVE include the affection which is defined as a fondness for others that is enduring and tender, but calm. Then there is devotion, which is defined as an intense love and steadfast, enduring loyalty to a person.

With any of those things I listed above... Do I feel this same kind of LOVE towards any of them?

*shakes head* no, no I don't. In fact, if coffee fell off the face of the earth, I would be sad but I would live on. The suggestion of love in most instances is a complete devotion to the object/person. So, if it was to fall off the face of the earth, you would be devastated.

Same idea applies to hate.

Do I really hate those things that I mentioned above? No, probably not. They are nuisances, that is for sure. But... do I really hate them?

As a mom, I try really hard to encourage my children to find another word to use besides hate. There is so much hate in this world, I don't need my kids to hate just because they think it's an appropriate word to use for their dislike of green veggies.

I do gently remind them to pick another word... because there are definitely things to hate... Like poverty, disease, etc. But your brussel sprouts... really? Don't waste your energy on hating them. ;) Dislike them, yes. I can handle that, but hate. No.

Don't be a hater.

On the flip side... don't give your "love word" so freely. Save it for times when it means the most. Save it for your husband/wife, your children, your parents, your creator. Don't use it on your coffee (boy, that was hard to type). In my opinion, while society may have changed and its "okay" to use love in this manner, it's almost like we are perverting the real meaning. Because to me, Love is something everlasting, something that can not be broken by a dissappointment, which unfortunately happens all too often.

If we as a household (or society) regarded love and hate with more respect, I wonder what would come of it. Would we hate less and love more?

Where did this post come from? Well, I was actually going to post and tell you how much I loved Anne Riley for giving me my first blog award here on Eisley's Ellipses...

Then realized that I really shouldn't be a contridiction to what I tell my children when I told her how much I loved it... So instead I will tell her I am completely honored and humbled by the award! Thanks :)

All that for a dang award... Good gravy, I have issues. ;)

(Edited to add) I guess I am suppose to nominate people for the scribbler award...  according to the rules, I have the task of passing on links to five blogs I read and enjoy.... who then deserve to be Super Scribblers along with Anne and myself ;)
  1. The Colorado Adventure - A fellow homeschooler who makes me stand in AWE of her energy and awesomeness.
  2. Michael Koby - Because he has some great technology reports and things that make you go hummm.
  3. Carol's Prints - Though I just found her blog, I read through it eagerly and laughed. In the words of the terminator, "I'll be back."
  4. Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers - Sense of humor rocks. `nuff said.
  5. The words of a writer - Because she is going places.



6 comments:

  1. Aw, great post! Puts things into perspective. You're right, I find myself using those two words all the time. So I've started to use the I <3 _______, particularly in writing. Seems to imply a strong sentiment without corrupting the meaning of love, maybe? As for hating--bad stuff. Corrupts the soul. I like that: "Don't be a hater."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I guess I should've read this before I sent you that email with, like, four or five "Loves" in there lol. So true about the words Love and Hate being used for the silliest of things, things that I wouldn't think about if I were to be on my deathbed. Really, I won't be thinking "I hate that I'll be losing the books I love".

    And thanks so much for the Superior Scribbler award! So sweet, I'm honored! Now to figure out who to nominate in turn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you are too sweet. You know, I feel the same way about the word "friend" as you do "love." That's not a word I like to use easily or often.

    Thank you so much for the nod, my friend :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm a writer? Thanks!

    I agree with the love/hate thing. I also despise 'Nazi zombies'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Liese! A writer of the best kind. You write and keep track of your homeschool adventures and I like it! Hear me! LIKE IT! ;)

    Carolina, Yah <3 does give a different feeling more like... intense like it's almost love. Don't be a hater... feel free to use it ;)

    Brittany, You are funny. You can love your own work, silly.

    Don, friend?! Me! So touched. :-P Get back to the laundry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hey - you deserved that award!

    ReplyDelete